In 2013-2014 modernization of aeration tanks at wastewater treatment facilities in Herzliya (Israel) was performed. During the process of modernization disc diffusers were replaced by tubular aerators produced by the EKOTON Company.
Six months after launching of the first reconstructed aeration tanks it is possible to talk about documented results of the efficient operation of EKOTON tubular aerators.
From a review of the Chief of wastewater treatment facilities and a pump station of Herzliya, Israel:
During reconstruction of sewage treatment facilities in Herzliya in 2009 a new biological reactor, consisting of three sections of 6000 cubic meters each with an operating height of about 6 m, was installed. Air is pumped by means of three air blowers of 6000 cubic meters each through disc diffusers.
Soon after launching it was obvious that all the system is highly uneconomical. In order to keep oxygen concentration at 1.5/2 mg/l we had to continuously work with two-three air blowers (9000-13000 cubic meters) for the whole reactor and it was not always possible. After, in the beginning of 2013, rupture marks were detected on some diffusers and we decided that it was time to replace them by something more effective. We issued a tender, and one of many offers we have received for consideration contained information about aerators of EKOTON Company.
There were a lot of cons: unknown company, lack of experience of work in Israel, disagreement of designers and technical advisors.
However, despite of some concerns and doubts we decided to install these particular aerators. This product attracted us by its simple and reliable design, price, mechanical strength, longevity, 8-year warranty, no need for service checks, easy and quick installation, and also a very tempting offer of the company management: possibility to pay the most part of the amount only in the case we are fully satisfied by their operation, which can be done even in six months.
In November 2013 we launched the first section of the reactor with EKOTON tubular aerators.
Reality has exceeded our most optimistic expectations. The quantity of used air has significantly reduced as well as the quantity of consumed energy.
Saturation of liquid with oxygen has become more stable and homogenous in the whole basin. In 2 months instead of previously agreed 6 months of observation of aerator performance it was decided to replace diffusers installed in two remaining sections by EKOTON aerators, which was done in stairstep order.
Today the whole reactor (3 sections) is functioning with installed EKOTON aerators, and we are extremely satisfied with obtained results. Required oxygen concentration (about 2 mg/l) is kept in all sections with much less energy consumption.
The most part of a day (14-16 hours) we use one air blower (4500 cubic meters) and during peak hours (8-10 hours) two air blowers (instead of 2-3 air blowers used previously, before replacement of aerators).
I send you the reactor operation schemes made before and after replacement of aerators.
1. October 2013. Section 1 is under reconstruction.
Sections 2 and 3 with disc diffusers are in service.
2. December 2013. Section 2 is under reconstruction.
Section 1 with EKOTON aerators (white and green) and Section 3 with disc diffusers (red and yellow) are in service.
3. May 2014. Section 3 is under reconstruction
Section 1 (white and green) and Section 2 (red and yellow) with EKOTON aerators are in service.